Thursday, August 23, 2007

Smoked Salmon Sushi and Pinot Noir


I was reading an article the other day in the Vancouver Sun about an interesting addition to a sushi recipe. The article suggested using Pinot Noir as a nice compliment to various sushi recipes - but mainly those that featured smoked salmon.

It makes sense since the northwest region - Oregon, Washington, and Northern California are large producers of both Pinot Noir and smoked salmon.

I have family in both Seattle and Portland - and when I was a kid I always associated smoked salmon with Seattle. Just check out the gift shops at Sea-Tac airport.

Tonight I made a sushi recipe that included smoked salmon. It was a little variation of a philly roll which has smoked salmon and cream cheese. I also had a nice bottle of Pinot Noir that I had brought home from the last time I visited my mother in Portland.

It was fantastic. Usually I have sake with my sushi - but I have to say - the pinot mixed really nicely with the salmon and worked really well to cleanse the palette between bites of sushi.

Next time your out looking for a bottle of wine - pick up a bottle of pinot noir (which is my favorite style of wine anyways) and try it with some smoked salmon sushi. If you’re looking for a good sushi recipe to use with it - here’s one I posted: Smoked Salmon Philly Roll.

And here’s the pinot’s that the article recommended:

CedarCreek Pinot Noir Estate Select 2005,

Okanagan Valley, $27

Classic B.C. pinot with its sweet vanilla, sour cherry, licorice and celery root flavors should be an entertaining palate cleanser between bites of salmon and sesame.

Vina Casas del Bosque Pinot Noir Reserve 2006, Valle de Casablanca, $24

Dry, fresh, round cool, coastal Chilean pinot with plenty of celery salt and gamey, compost, strawberry, carrot top flavors that should oppose the dense, almost sweet, salmon flavors in the sushi recipe.

Patrick

No comments: